Welcome to the Ossining Community Directory.
IN DEVELOPMENT – SUMMER 2023
This directory brings together in one listing local groups and organizations serving Ossining. The purpose is to make it easier to connect to activities and services offered by nonprofit organizations.
This is a test site, currently used to demonstrate one facet of community networking: CommunityNetworking.net
Ossining Community Directory has no commercial function: there is no fee for listing, no charge for viewing, no advertising, no links to businesses or any commercial enterprise.
Why libraries and nonprofits?
Libraries are valued for their skill in information gathering and dissemination, and organizations are valued for the content they provide: both are valued for the active concern they have for local community. Pairing these two is both useful and practical: one for having the potential to make culture and services more visible, and the other for enabling individuals to better satisfy their needs.
What is the benefit?
Local nonprofit organizations have information, experience, and commitment in addressing issues that directly impact a community. LCN just makes it easier for information to flow between these organizations, the public library, and the public.
A comprehensive resource network can also encourage nonprofit organizations to think and work collaboratively. The directory offers community organizations increased exposure and interaction with participants, volunteers, and contributors.
- Makes it easier for everyone to know what nonprofit resources are available.
- Encourages collaboration between local organizations.
- Enables local communities to better respond to ongoing environmental changes.
- Makes visible what nonprofit organizations are good at and have in common with each other – concern, communication, and implementation.
- Brings residents into closer contact with each other and their community volunteer services.
Developed by Alan Pakaln, a retired clinical engineer who worked in hospitals in New York City. He also writes about clinical safety issues.